Podestá named interim dean of International Studies
Guido Podestá, associate dean of of the Division of International Studies at UW-Madison, will serve as the interim dean of International Studies and Vice Provost for Globalization through the 2012-2013 academic year.
He replaces Gilles Bousquet, who will take a leave of absence to serve as interim chancellor of UW-Eau Claire.
“Guido is a respected administrator whose institutional knowledge will be of great assistance during a time of transition,” says Provost Paul M. DeLuca Jr. “We are thankful for his willingness to serve and look forward to continuing progress under his leadership.”
Podestá, a professor and former chair of the Department of Spanish and Portuguese, previously directed the university’s program in Latin American, Caribbean and Iberian Studies. Since joining the university in 1988, he has received awards including a Romnes Faculty Fellowship, a resident fellowship from the Institute for Research in the Humanities and a senior fellowship from the American Council for Learned Societies.
In addition to Podestá’s duties as dean, he will work with an advisory board to review and consider the recommendations of a recent ad hoc committee report on the division’s governance and organization. The provost has named 12 faculty members and administrators to the board, chaired by David McDonald, professor of history.
Members of the board include:
- Caitilyn Allen, professor, Department of Plant Pathology
- Marianne Bird Bear, assistant dean, Division of International Studies
- Michael Corradini, Wisconsin Distinguished Professor, Department of Engineering Physics
- Elizabeth Covington, executive director, European Studies Alliance
- Suzanne Dove, special assistant to the dean, Wisconsin School of Business
- Margaret Hawkins, professor, Department of Curriculum and Instruction
- Yoshiko Herrera, associate professor, Department of Political Science; director, Center for Russia, East Europe and Central Asia
- Kristopher Olds, professor, Department of Geography
- Jonathan Patz, director, Global Health Institute; professor and director of Global Environmental Health
- Joann Peck, associate professor and associate dean of undergraduate programs, Wisconsin School of Business
- Mark Sidel, Doyle-Bascom Professor of Law and Public Affairs, Law School
The advisory board plans to convene near the beginning of the fall semester.
By Susannah Brooks, University Communications