Mission: The Equity and Diversity Committee of the International Division (EDC-ID) will advise the dean, directors, and supervisors on equity and diversity issues, with diversity defined in a broad and inclusive way. The committee works to ensure that the division has diverse representation in staff and student program participation, and seeks to create a welcoming and supportive organizational culture.
Responsibilities of the EDC-ID shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Advising on best practices for recruitment, retention, and workplace conditions for a diverse workforce, including:
- Providing search committees with resources and advice for recruitment of qualified people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQI and other historically underrepresented groups.
- Reviewing recruitment and new employee onboarding practices and policies and proposing amendments.
- Supporting initiatives that reduce barriers for underrepresented students to participate in programming and/or work in student employee roles within the division.
- Initiating and supporting campus efforts to improve the climate in the workplace and in learning environments and to end harassment and violence.
- Preparing employees to thrive in a world that is diverse, global, and interconnected including identifying and offering appropriate campus or divisional resources and learning opportunities to support diversity and inclusion.
Expectations of EDC-ID members include:
- Promote Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion throughout the International Division.
- Help create an inclusive and equitable work environment.
- Communicate to your respective unit and team regarding the objectives and upcoming activities of the EDC.
- Attend, engage, and bring an open mind to committee meetings and events.
- Participate in committee events such as podcast and book discussions.
- Complete monthly newsletter action item when possible.
- Contribute resources to the monthly newsletter.
- Engage in self-learning, discomfort, and growth related to DEI issues.
Additionally, potential roles on the Committee may include the following:
- Events (Podcast/Book convos)
- Climate Survey/Onboarding Projects
- The Committee shall consist of a minimum of five members who shall be employees of the International Division.
- Any employee of the International Division who wishes to serve may serve on the Committee; Committee will strive to include representation from staff of diverse backgrounds across division units.
- Employees are welcome to join at any time.
Terms of service
- A term coincides with the fiscal year.
- There are no term limits for serving on the Committee.
Selection of the Chair
- The Committee shall annually select one or two members to serve as Chair or Co-Chairs in the spring semester prior to the July 1 start date of service.
- Individuals may self-nominate or be nominated by others. If nominated by someone else, the member must agree to the nomination.
- There shall be no limits on the number of terms an individual may serve.
- The Committee shall meet at least twice each semester with a goal of meeting at least six times annually.
- The Chair(s), in consultation with members, shall schedule meeting times and locations, prepare and distribute agendas in advance, and shall preside over meetings.
- A quorum is considered to be a simple majority of the voting members; a quorum must be present for a vote to be taken during the course of a meeting.
- Votes may be taken by email outside of a regular meeting if required; the participation of a simple majority of the Committee members is required for such votes to be valid.
- The Chair(s) shall designate a recorder at each meeting to take notes on the discussion and actions during the meeting. The person who records notes will send a copy to all committee members within 10 days of the meeting.
- The Chair(s) and/or Committee shall seek to meet with the Vice Provost/Dean of the International Division annually.
- The Chair(s) shall serve as the Committee’s liaison to the Campus Equity and Diversity Committee and shall attend monthly campus EDC meetings.
Lindsey Bliefernicht, co-chair, Institute for Regional and International Studies
Nathaniel Liedl, co-chair, International Internship Program
Lindsay Heiser Barger, International Academic Programs
Marianne Bird Bear, Dean’s Office
Paige Hendricks, Language Program Office
Rita Knox, International Faculty and Staff Services
Susan Lochner Atkinson, International Academic Programs
Kristine Schutte, Dean’s Office
Kerry Uniyal, Language Program Office
Alberto Vargas, Institute for Regional and International Studies, LACIS