Earlier this month, a delegation of leaders from China’s Anhui Province traveled to Wisconsin and met with UW–Madison faculty and Division of International Studies‘ staff to discuss a future partnership. Through a close business colleague living in Milwaukee, the delegation connected with the Wisconsin Department of Commerce and arranged a visit to the state to initiate water-focused conversations.
The day-long meeting in Madison began with an appointment with the Governor, followed by a welcome lunch and traditional gift exchange. Kevin Reilly, president of the University of Wisconsin System, addressed an audience with extensive expertise in water and environmental protection. Reilly gave a brief history of Wisconsin, touching on the Wisconsin Idea. The leader of the Anhui delegation, Kong Xiaohong, deputy director of Anhui Province Development and Reform Commission, also spoke about the two regions’ common ecological interests and complementary expertise.
The groups met to share lessons learned and to consider future collaboration. Both Anhui and Wisconsin are experienced in addressing ecological challenges, particularly with respect to lakes, rivers, and groundwater in interdependent relationships within an agricultural landscape. UW–Madison faculty from Soil Science, Civil & Environmental Engineering, and the Geosciences spent some of the afternoon in conversations with the Anhui delegation about a holistic approach for clean water. The partnership will promote continued exploration of common interests in clean water technologies and a systems approach to environmental protection. A follow-up meeting may be held as soon as May 2010, with the aim of furthering this important relationship.
Please view a slide show of the welcome lunch.
- Mr. Jian Gua Sun, Particle Group, LLC
- Mr. Kong Xiaohong, Deputy Director of Anhui Province Development and Reform Commission
- Mr. Xu HeSheng, Director of Resource Conservation and Environmental Protection Bureau, Anhui Province Development and Reform Commission
- Mr. Peng MuSheng, Director of Investment Bureau, Anhui Province Development and Reform Commission
- Dr. Chen HongFeng, Institute of Environmental Science and Research Department, Anhui Province
- Mr. Xu Hua, Executive Deputy of Feidong County
- Mr. Yang WenBao, Director of Sustainable Economy Development of Feidong County
- Dr. Kevin Reilly, President, University of Wisconsin System
- Dr. Gilles Bousquet, Dean, University of Wisconsin-Madison Division of International Studies
- Dr. Stephen Kolison, Associate Vice President from UW-System
- Dr. Katherine Sanders, Assistant Dean, University of Wisconsin-Madison Division of International Studies
- Ms. Tura Patterson, Director of Corporate Relations, University of Wisconsin-Madison Division of International Studies
Wisconsin China Initiative: Faculty
- Dr. Edward Friedman, Professor of Political Science
- Dr. Zhengyu Liu, Professor of Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences, Director for Center for Climatic Research
UW-Madison Environmental/Water Faculty
- Dr. King-Jau Samuel Kung, Professor of Soil Science
- Dr. Marc Anderson, Professor of Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Dr. Mary Anderson, Professor (emeritus) of Geoscience
- Dr. Daniel Noguera*, Professor of Civil & Environmental Engineering, and Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center
- Dr. Ken Potter, Professor of Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Dr. Mark Powell, USDA Forage Product Lab & Professor of Soil Science
- Dr. Chin Wu, Professor of Civil & Environmental Engineering
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
- Dr. Zhang Xiaochun, Senior Engineer