FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 28, 2007
Contact: Ronnie Hess, Director of Communications, Division of International Studies, (608) 262-5590; firstname.lastname@example.org
UW-MADISON STUDENTS EARN SUMMER INTERNATIONAL INTERNSHIPS
Madison, WI – Fourteen University of Wisconsin-Madison students have received summer international internships, the Division of International Studies announced today. The internships are given through the International Academic Internship Initiative, an initiative of the Division of International Studies in partnership with the School of Business, the College of Engineering, the Institute for Cross-College Biology Education, Global Studies, the Center for East Asian Studies, and the Center for European Studies.
The students, mostly juniors and seniors, will intern at international companies in China, Singapore, Japan, Tanzania, Brazil, and Wisconsin. The majority of the internships are paid.
The students, their majors, home towns, companies and countries are:
- Jenna Acker (Psychology), from Verona, WI. FOCCUS, Madison, WI.
- Kyle Bender (International Business), from Rochester, MN. JR Central (Central Japan Railway Company), Nagoya, Japan.
- Megan Bender (Geological Engineering), from Prairie du Chien, WI, Abbott Labs, Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania.
- Zach Clemens (Real Estate and Urban Land Economics), from Dane, WI. PT Bakrie Telecom, Indonesia.
- Sofian Kasan Hidayat (Civil Engineering), from Pontianak, Indonesia. Bakrie Group, Indonesia.
- Kristin Kroes (Marketing), from Racine, WI. Johnson Diversey, Singapore.
- Fred Lauer (Japanese, East Asian Studies), from Eau Claire, WI. Toshiba Corporation, Tokyo, Japan.
- Allison Loomis (Social Work), from La Crosse WI. JR Central, Nagoya, Japan.
- Stan Makarenko (International Studies), from Oak Creek, WI. FOCCUS, Madison, WI.
- Rob Osborn (International Business), from Austin, TX. Linca International, Porto Alegre, Brazil.
- David Scharfman (Chinese, Political Science), from Madison, WI. Wisconsin Department of Commerce, Madison, WI.
- Matt Underwood (Economics), from Oshkosh, WI. Great Precision Moulds, Qing Dao, China.
- Dante West (Political Science), from Madison, WI. JR Central, Nagoya, Japan.
- Allen Yau (Industrial Engineering), from Milwaukee, WI. Toshiba Corporation, Tokyo, Japan.
Last year, the inaugural year of the program, seven IAII students received internships in Japan and the Netherlands. The internships, which last eight to twelve weeks, are competitive and require that students have at least a 3.0 overall GPA. For more information, http://iaii.wisc.edu/