FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DATE: Thursday, May 10, 2007
CONTACT: Courtney Skare, International Academic Programs, University of Wisconsin-Madison, (608) 261-1020, firstname.lastname@example.org
Madison, WI –International Academic Programs (IAP), a member program of the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Division of International Studies, has announced the 2007 winners of its annual study abroad photo contest.
Participants of UW-Madison study abroad programs submitted hundreds of photos from their time spent abroad within the last year. Entry photos were grouped in four categories, including natural landscapes, people and culture, urban landscapes, and Badgers abroad.
The winners are:
- Places-Natural Landscapes
- First Prize: “Woman Farming,” (above) Claire Allen (Hyderabad, India, 2006) – Hampi, India
- Second Prize: “Ancient,” Julia Ann Baumgartner (Quito, Ecuador, 2006) – The Galapagos
- Third Prize: “Rocks and Waves,” Craig A. Schiller (Wollongong, Australia, 2006) – Tasmania
- People and Culture
- First Prize: “Beautiful Smile,” Julia Ann Baumgartner (Quito, Ecuador, 2006) – Otavalo, Ecuador
- Second Prize: “Boys Best Friend,” Jennifer Mao Thao (Chiang Mai, Thailand, 2006) – Tak, Thailand
- Third Prize: “Study,” (above) Stephanie Wallerius (Hyderabad, India, 2006) – Hyderabad, India
- Places – Urban Landscapes
- First Prize: “A Walk Around Nafplio,” Meryl Hoeft (Athens, Greece, 2006) – Nafplio, Greece
- Second Prize: “Recoleta Church,” (above) Evan Romanoff (Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2006) – Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Third Prize: “Cuilapan,” Karissa Traun (Oaxaca, Mexico, 2006) – Cuilapan, Mexico
- Badgers Abroad
- First Prize: “Dune Walker,” Elizabeth Anderson (Cape Town, South Africa, 2006) – Sossusvlei, Namibia
- Second Prize: “Jumping at the End of the World,” (above) Kirsten Laufenberg (Seville, Spain, 2006) – Sagres, Portugal
- Third Prize: “Waiting for Sydney’s Storm,” Craig A. Schiller (Wollongong, Australia, 2006) – Manley Beach, Sydney, Australia
Unlike past years, when photos were selected by IAP staff, this year’s winners were chosen by student peers through a public vote in the Study Abroad Resource Room held during the month of April. In addition to the recognition given to their photographs, photo contest winners received magazine subscriptions or restaurant gift certificates donated by local businesses.
Winning photos are currently on display in Van Hise Hall and the Study Abroad Resource Room, in room 250 of Bascom Hall. The photos can also be viewed at http://www.studyabroad.wisc.edu/alumni/photos/2007_contest/badgers1.html
International Academic Programs offers over 85 study-abroad programs on six continents, including academic year, semester, summer and winter inter-session options.
Study abroad offerings include programs for UW-Madison students of any degree or major, freshmen to seniors, as well as graduate students. Students interested in study abroad are encouraged to visit the Study Abroad Resource Room located in 250 Bascom Hall or www.studyabroad.wisc.edu