University of Wisconsin–Madison students preparing to embark on international internships were among those who gathered recently – accompanied by family and friends – to hear words of encouragement and to receive scholarships to help pay their way. These undergraduates were recognized April 18, at the Spring 2013 Study Abroad Scholarship Award Ceremony, sponsored by the Division of International Studies, International Academic Programs (IAP), and International Internship Program (IIP).
In addition to undertaking internship placements overseas, students simultaneously enroll in the university’s Worldwide Internship online seminar course. The course guides students through issues related to globalization and helps them manage the challenges of working across cultures.
The International Internship Fund was established to help students who participate in internships affiliated with UW–Madison’s International Internship Program defray costs. Work-abroad opportunities reinforce students’ academic experiences and advance their professional training, as well as foster global competence and international literacy.
Recipients going abroad during the summer of 2013 are:
- Zoe Cooper, of New York, NY, senior in Art History, Italian and European Studies, internship in Florence, Italy, with Uffizi Gallery
- Eva Glisczinski, of Milwaukee, WI, sophomore, internship in Warsaw, Poland, with Caritas for Children
- Kate Hartzler, of Waukesha, WI, junior in Genetics and European Studies, internship in Ireland, with World Endeavors
- Josephine Helland, of Wisconsin Dells, WI, junior in Environmental Studies and History, internship in Lilongwe, Malawi, with Malawi Human Rights Resource Center
- Christian Herrera, of Franklin Park, IL, senior in Mechanical Engineering and International Engineering, internship in Madrid, Spain, with Adelante Abroad
- Krista Hertel, of De Forest, WI, senior in Management & Human Resources, International Business and European Studies, internship in Dublin, Ireland, with USIT Work & Travel Office
- Hanna Homestead, of Madison, WI, senior in International Studies and Environmental Studies, internship in Linongwe, Malawi, with Malawi Human Rights Resource Center
- Kaitlyn Jones, of Green Bay, WI, junior in Human Development and Family Studies, internship in Nkokonjeru, Uganda, with Caritas for Children
- Ashton Rollings, of Greenfield, WI, senior in Global Health, internship in Pune, India, with Children and Family Health International
- Danielle Rubio, of Portage, WI, junior in Philosophy, internship in Chennai, India, with Lady Andal School
- Magdalena Szczesna, of Osceola, WI, senior in Human Development and Family Studies, internship in Warsaw, Poland, with Caritas for Children
- Tenzin Tseten, of Madison, WI, junior in Political Science and South Asian Studies, internship in Dharamsala, India, with the Central Tibetan Administration and the Department of Information and International Relations
- Aaron Zein, of Onalaska, WI, senior in International Studies and European Studies, internship in Nkokonjeru, Uganda, with Caritas for Children
- Nicole Zepnick, of Menasha, WI, senior in Management & Human Resources and International Business, internship in Dublin, Ireland, with USIT Work & Travel Office
- Robert Albrecht, of Sussex, WI, junior in Japanese, Political Science and Integrated Liberal Studies, internship in Tokyo, Japan, with the Japan Central Railway Company
- Wyatt Rufener, of Slinger, WI, senior in Computer Engineering, internship in Tokyo, Japan, with the Japan Central Railway Company
Recipients going abroad during the fall 2013 semester are:
- Ian Barnes, of Madison, WI, senior in French, German and European Studies, internship in Paris, France, with Telelangue World Speaking
- Nicole Davis, of Grantsburg, WI, senior in Biology and Botany, internship in Ankara, Turkey with U.S. State Department
- Anton Kvit, of Madison, WI, senior in Biology, Psychology and Biomedical Engineering, internship in Moscow, Russia, with the Laboratory of Structural Biology of the Shemyakin-Ovchinnikov Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry
- Olivia Wilkins, of La Crosse, WI, sophomore in Community & Non-profit Leadership, internship in Tengeru, Tanzania, with Boma La Mama
- Ashley De La Paz, of Waukesha, WI, junior in International Studies, Russian, Eastern European Studies and Central Asian Studies, internship in Paris, France, with Telelangue World Speaking
The Plexus International Internship Award – supported by the Wisconsin-based corporation – is awarded each year to one outstanding undergraduate engineering student selected to work at the Plexus office in Neenah and in one of the company’s international offices. This year’s recipient is Simon Felhofer, of Madison, WI, senior in Electrical Engineering and Technical Communications, who will spend part of his summer internship at the Plexus facility in Penang, Malaysia.
The Promega International Scientific Internship Award – sponsored by the Promega Corporation – supports undergraduate students in all fields of science undertaking an unpaid international internship aimed at improving the quality of life in the world – especially internships using molecular biology techniques. This year’s recipients are:
- Drew Gunderson, of Muskego, WI, senior in Biology and French, internship in Osaka, Japan, with RIKEN Quantitative Biology Center
- Danielle Hurlbutt, of Madison, WI, junior in Biochemistry and Global Health, internship in Accra, Ghana, with Unite for Sight
- Xiyu (Steve) Wang, of Madison, WI, senior in Biomedical Engineering, internship in Kobe, Japan, with RIKEN Quantitative Biology Center