As of July 1, 2015, the Division of International Studies has officially become The International Division, the culmination of a multi-year process of review and reorganization. Along with the name, we have adopted a tagline – “Advancing the Global Wisconsin Idea” – to highlight our campus-wide focus.
Changes also include the reorganization and renaming of the International Institute as the Institute for Regional and International Studies (IRIS). The Institute and its member centers – which had been jointly administered since the mid-1990s by the College of Letters and Science and the Division – have shifted completely into The International Division, also effective July 1, 2015.
Over the course of the summer, we will continue putting these changes in place, including a new website aimed at strengthening the Division’s role of serving the campus. We will be sending out more about The International Division later, in advance of the fall semester.
In addition, the restructuring of IRIS will continue. For more on this, see this recent article: http://international.wisc.edu/blog/index.php/2015/06/25/institute-iris/
For now, here are a few matters in regard to the Division’s name change:
- The Division’s main website address (international.wisc.edu) and staff email addresses will not change.
- The style for use of the Division name is as follows:
- When used alone or preceding the institutional name, use The International Division (“The” with uppercase “T”). Also, “The International Division at the University of Wisconsin-Madison” or “The International Division at UW-Madison”.
- When used following the institutional name, drop the word “The” before International Division; it’s the “University of Wisconsin-Madison International Division” or “UW-Madison International Division.”
- Moving forward, we need to change references and links on websites, etc., from the Division of International Studies to The International Division. We recognize that this will take time and are asking for your assistance:
- Please make this change on websites where you are able (new logos are available, if needed).
- Notify Kerry G. Hill, Director of Communications, email@example.com, about other sites where we will need to request the change.
With these changes, we believe that The International Division is well-positioned to pursue our mission, working with all of our colleagues and partners across the UW-Madison campus: We lead campus efforts to cultivate international scholarship and engagement, promote global awareness, and prepare students for a diverse and interconnected world.
Guido A. Podesta
Vice Provost & Dean
The International Division
University of Wisconsin-Madison